Beta RR390 4T (DEMO)
Simply the Best
To quote that famous song from the 1990s, nothing sums up the latest addition to the Beta family better than the words “simply the best, better than all the rest…”. While the world is rediscovering the values of essential functionality, Betamotor continues to ride a wave of impressive motorsports victories, and began the 2022 edition of the Enduro World Championship as incumbent champion once again. It is in this context that the Rignano sull’Arno-based constructor presents the new MY23 RR, a bike which carries over many of the characteristics that made its predecessor so unbeatable last season, but which has been revised with a number of significant new features introduced across the range, plus other upgrades specific to certain engine sizes, in order to maintain the unassailable supremacy of the RR family as a whole.
Beta worked in close collaboration with the Enduro champions Brad Freeman and Steve Holcombe to develop a suite of new solutions regarding both the powertrain and the frame/suspension for the MY 2023 RR 2 Str and 4 Str models, to consolidate the already highly acclaimed characteristics of the previous generation. As always, the guiding philosophy of the engineers at Rignano sull’Arno has been to not only increasing the performance of the brand’s bikes, but to also making this performance even more accessible. So rather than major changes, this model year has gained a series of upgrades intended to consolidate all the outstanding qualities of each individual model. Completing the picture are a new all-red colour scheme and new plastics with a more linear, essential, and sleeker design than before, providing the RR with an even more minimalist look. Some say “less is more”: Beta believes that only the very best will do, and creates bikes with no frills, with only what you really need, whether racing or out on a Sunday ride with your mates.
The range is made up of 6 different models, each with its own personality, to cater for the needs of a very diverse spectrum of riders. There’s the perfect RR for every rider, but what every model has in common is the ability to instil confidence in the user and offer a genuinely rewarding riding experience.
With an ideal handling to power ratio, its winning feature lies in its outstanding traction.
The updates introduced for the MY 2023 RR range are summed up below:
For all models
• Suspensions: Beta never stops honing the frame and suspensions of its bikes. In the quest for an even sharper, purer rider feedback, Betamotor’s engineers have revised the internals of the front fork – a ZF component, as on the previous generation – of the 2023 model year of the RR family. First and foremost, the geometry of the oil passages around the fork piston has been modified to eliminate any throttling effect completely and ensure impeccably smooth damper action throughout the entire travel. By creating freer-flowing oil return passages, this improvement opens up even greater possibilities for setting up the fork, as eliminating all structural impediments to the oil flow means that even the smallest change in setting produces a perceptible result. This results in an improved rider comfort and in a more effective fork support throughout the initial excursion of the damper. Therefore, the bike remains composed and controllable even in rough terrain conditions.
• Radiator shrouds on tank: one of the changes over the previous generation with an impact on both style and function is the revised shape of the new radiator shrouds on the RR range. The new shrouds are narrower than before to give the rider more freedom of movement, especially when cornering in a motocross style with the bike leaned sharply into the bend and with the inner leg extended forwards. More ergonomically shaped than before, the shrouds let the rider assume a snugger position on the saddle with the bike gripped firmly between the legs for an even better rider feedback. The sleeker new shrouds also contribute to the revised, simple, and essential new look of the bike.
• Graphics: all models now feature a new all-red colour scheme. The style of the graphics is more minimalist than before, with bold, clearly defined forms and purer, more modern lines which emphasise the muscular shape of the bike and link the new shrouds seamlessly to the other components.
RR 4 Str
• Traction control: The most significant new feature in the 4 Str range is the introduction of traction control, which made its début last year in the Racing range. To make the performance of its models ever more accessible to the rider in any situation, all 4 stroke Beta Enduro models now boast traction control. The traction control function on RR models is selectable by the rider from a button in the usual position between the steering tube and the fuel tank. The rider can disengage traction control at any time and in either of the engine maps available, while the function itself is calibrated differently for each of the two maps, offering the rider a choice of 4 different electronic control configurations.
• Exhaust header: all 4 stroke models feature a new exhaust header with a longer duct geometry than on the previous generation, improving engine response at low engine speeds and increasing torque at mid-range engine speeds. The result is a more tractable power delivery across the entire rev range, letting the rider get themselves out of trouble more easily or choose to use a higher gear than they normally would, for a more relaxed riding experience.
• Engine map: today, even Enduro bikes – which seem simple in appearance – come with advanced electronics. To take full advantage of the increased torque at low to medium engine speeds made available by the new exhaust header, 4 stroke models now feature dedicated new engine management maps which spread the power curve out more uniformly across the entire usable range of the engine, making the performance of even the biggest displacement Beta bikes completely accessible.
4-STROKE SINGLE CYLINDER, LIQUID COOLED
DOHC FINGER FOLLOWER / 4 TITANUIM VALVE
NGK LKAR 8A-9
2 OIL PUMPS
ELLDOR DUAL ELECTRONIC INJECTION
Ø 42mm – SYNERJECT
WET MULTI-DISC WITH REVERSE OPENING
Z.28 / 76
OIL SAE 10W / 50 0.8 L + SAE 10W/40 0.8L
CONSUMPTION L / 100 KM
MOLYBDENUM STEEL WITH DOUBLE CRADLE SPLIT ABOVE THE EXHAUST POST
MAXIMUM HEIGHT FROM GROUND
107.5 KG (FRONT 52.7 KG; REAR 54.8 KG)
COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY
HYDRAULIC USD FORK WITH Ø 48 MM SHAFT
MONOSHOCK WITH PROGRESSIVE COMPOUND LEVER
SHOCK ABSORBER STROKE
FRONT WHEEL TRAVEL
REAR WHEEL TRAVEL
WAVE DISC Ø260 MM AND DOUBLE PISTON FLOATING CALIPER
WAVE DISC Ø240 MM SINGLE- PISTON FLOATING CALIPER
21 X 1.6 – 36 HOLES
18 X 2,15 – 36 HOLES
90/90 – 21